I was rather worried for different reasons:
- the dress is supposed to be made from jersey, a fabric I never work with
- the dress is drapey, meaning a lot of biais lines, meaning a lot of stretch potential, meaning worries about deformation
- the dress has two big pockets in the biais lines - in a drapey fabric, it means a clear route to disaster for me
So I went with a compromise and used black wool crepe which seemed to be rather transparent. To maintain it and decrease the see-through effect, I underlined it with a black cotton-silk - this fabric is just magic, it works in double layer for summer tops, as well as a simple layer underlining. It is quite stable and extremely soft against your skin and does not add any bulk. I had bought it in different colours, but it is the black one I used the most.
Fortunately I did sew a muslin, since I had to take in at least 5cm on each side, as well as 10cm on the dress length. I am currently using old sheets for my muslin (found a huge bag during our recent moving which will last for some time) and my muslin looked more like a hospital robe than as my wished drapey dress.
I had made a huge mistake of not marking the right and left sides properly, so I ended up with the sides inverted compared to the center piece. But I realized it quite soon in the process and was still able to correct it.
I lot of sewists complained about the scarce instructions. That was definitely not my problem, I am used to Burda in 4 different languages, so instructions with pictures always work the best. Also, the pattern is not overly complicated, when compared to my usual dresses.
I a still quite sceptical on this type of dress for me. I know that it will get worn, as it is very comfortable ;o), but the silhouette is very special, I feel like being pregnant and trying to cover it, which is not the case.