Sunday 11 October 2015

Grey Squares' Dress

This summer, I have done a round trip in South-East Asia, starting in Singapore, going through Malaysia and a part of Indonesia. And of course, I could not miss the opportunity to buy fabric, in each of these countries. 
In Malaysia, I was deceived at first, because most of the shops carried a terrible poly-something in all the possible colours and patterns, which was cheap even for the local budgets, but horrible when touched. Till… I fell in fabric heaven at Gulati silk – a five-floor shop, out of which I have only seen 3, and most loved the ground floor with its silks, cottons and silk-cottons. I left there with a huge bag of fabrics – in the cutest colours.


The patient shop-assistant who had his commission this day.

This is where I bought this cotton silk: the fabric is rather mate and crispy on the right side and shiny and slippery on the wrong side. So I was even hesitating whether to line the dress or not. And of course, I made my usual mistake and only bought one meter of this, in addition, there was a white line in the middle.



The autumn has already started in Paris, so I wanted to make another Colette-Peony dress, with longer sleeves, like this one. I can tell you, getting the pattern from the fabric was a real puzzle, but I can proudly say that I managed without having to cheat. I even had enough to cut the interfacing. As it is an autumn dress, I lined it entirely with black silk.

I did not bother with pattern matching, for two reasons: First, I barely had enough fabric for that and second, I assume the size and fussiness of this fabric is important enough so that the non-matching does not offend anybody.

There is not much to add to my own Colette Peony, this is my third version and I can now sew it blindfolded. I added pockets, even though after having it worn, I cannot put much in them. 
The dress is pretty light in itself, so anything like your phone or badge is adding too much weight. Never mind, after all the fuss with the pockets, I will not waste my time on closing them, right :o)

All I all, very happy about this make.


Inspiration: the fabric
Pattern: self-drafted, inspired by Colette Peony dress
Pattern changes: none
Technique: pockets
Fabric: grey-brown squared cotton-silk
Time to Complete: 2 weeks

Total Cost: 42 EUR

No comments:

Post a Comment